The USS WASP ASSOCIATION is an association of former crew members of the USS WASP CV18 AND LHD1. The association was founded in 1985 and chartered as a non-profit organization. Any person who was attached to either vessels bearing the name USS WASP in a permanent or temporary status, whether ship's company, squadrons or staff, may become a member of the organization.

USS WASP CV 18 christened in 1943 and commissioned in 1943 served in WWII, Korean War and the Viet Nam War periods. She recovered several capsules at sea in the Gemini Program. Her homeport was Boston Massachusetts before retirement in 1972.

The new USS WASP LHD 1 christened in 1987 and commissioned in 1989 is an Amphibious Assault ship LHD – a multipurpose amphibious assault ship, the tenth to bear the name, the flagship of the Second Fleet and the lead ship in its class. She was built at the Ingalls Shipbuilding facility at Pascagoula, Mississippi and accommodates the full range of Navy and Marine Corps helicopters, conventional landing craft, and amphibious vehicles.

Association membership consists of active duty and retired former crewmembers of these ship – whether ships company or attached, as well as their widows and supporters of the Association. As of September 2011 membership stood at 1602 total, 1258 shipmates, 309 honorary members (widows), 5 full honorary and 30 associate members. Currently we have listed 222 members as missing and a search and rescue mission is in progress to find them. Since last count in September 2008 the association has stood at attention for Taps over 378 departed crewmembers.